Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Monday, March 21, 2005

    Welcome to the new Blog

    So I gave up on Mindsay. And, I'm now on Blogspot. I changed mostly to start out fresh since I haven't really blogged that much since last November's election cycle. And, that should really be representative of what my new blog is going to be all about. But in case you want to see the old Mindsay blog, you still can.

    I was ecstatic last November when President Bush pulled out a major victory and by a pretty good margin, larger than anyone predicted and he definitely earned a "mandate." His mandate was not as secure with just his win alone - though that was enough for me. But, with the Republicans picking up 4 seats (!) in the Senate and a whole lotta seats in the House, and a few more governor's seats... I'd say that's a mandate.

    Now, what should President Bush and the Republican majority do with this mandate that the American people have given them? They should go forward with their agenda and with an agenda that leans mostly to the right. For guidance, they should consult the Heritage Foundation's Mandate For Leadership guide. I'd stand behind most of that. It is an outline of how this President and this Congress can use conservative principles to limit government, expand freedom and strengthen America.

    While I'm happy Republicans are now the majority, I'm also nervous. I'm nervous they will just turn out to be like the Democrats, and continue expanding the size of the federal government, as there is not a "more conservative" party available to check them. And I'm nervous that they'll be unable to start cutting back on the budget.

    But, I am hopeful that they will lead, as there are crucial issues they must do so on. I'm especially concerned with the war on terrorism and the cultural values that I voted for - continuing to promote freedom at home and abroad and doing so in a way that respects civil liberties, keeps America the beacon of hope for all around the world, and promotes a culture of life, no matter who tells them they are wrong or tries to stand in their way.

    This blog hopes to remain principled, even if the party I typically vote for does not. I will also focus a lot of issues on the college campuses I visit as my role as Director of Membership and Campus Leadership for the Intercollegiate Studies Institute. I can't divulge everything on here, but I can certainly share touching stories from some of the amazing people I meet, lectures I get to hear, and ideas that I am able to ponder.

    I'll also share stories of what I've been up to with my friends and family and other aspects of my personal life - a life where my Catholic values and conservative principles almost never remain absent. As I try to follow the path that Christ set out for each of us, sometimes I still struggle to follow that path. I do believe I am on a path though and I know the Lord is leading me with his Light. Every new person I meet, every new place I discover, and every new experience I have shows me that this world is full of a magnificient creation that we continue to learn about each day. I believe that God puts people, places, and experiences in our lives for us all to enjoy and be guided by. I hope this blog helps me reflect on the grace we are all given with the amazing lives we each have.

    As I consider academic and career choices, I'll also keep some updates on those. And, of course I hope to offer plenty of pictures from my travels across this great nation. It is the people that make the places - and the American people continue to make this country thrive, and it is courageous and thoughtful college students that keep the America's campuses alive with the free exchange of ideas, even when some of their ideas are challenged or when great odds are posed against them. I also hope that you will partake in this blog, with your thoughtful responses. This will be partly a journal, but partly a discussion. Each of you remain a crucial part.

    So... this is my blog. Welcome to my world.

    5 comments:

    Brendan Steinhauser said...

    I agree with your concerns about the Republicans.

    Texas House R's passed a de facto state income tax!

    R's control Texas statewide offices and the legislature and they still sold us out.

    Sad.

    B

    Francisco Gonzalez said...

    Yes, that is a sad sad story. But, I need you to explain a bit more what you mean by "de facto state income tax". What exactly did they pass? But, I'm sure whatever it was, it was more power to the state. It's almost like, what are the Texas Republicans afraid of losing? Oh yes, that's right, they're politicians. They're afraid of losing their own political power.

    Francisco Gonzalez said...

    Well, I don't think we can argue with the fact that because President Bush took action in both Afganistan and Iraq, and kept firm on his insistence for free elections, and because the Afghan and Iraqi people voted overwhelmingly in free elections, that freedom is certainly spreading.

    And, we don't have to look at just those 2 countries - Ukraine, Palestine, Lebanon, Libya, Egypt... all are responding favorably to democracy and freedom. All... thanks to decisions made by the Bush Administration.

    I don't know where the "discrimination" is happening at home, but feel free to list these incidents specifically and it will help us to move forward as a nation on those issues.

    As for the Terps, Chris you and I both know the answer. This is the first time we are both not at the school together. When we were there, they won the national title and ACC titles in basketball. They went to the Orange Bowl, won the Peach Bowl and won the Gator Bowl, in football. Now... they're in the toilet bowl.

    2008: Who will it be?

    Francisco Gonzalez said...

    Mandate - yes. And Dan, did you read my entire blog? I said that although President Bush's victory was enough of a "mandate" for me (he did get more of a percentage than any President since his father in 1988, even Clinton never got about 48%), but what really made it a mandate was not simply Bush's victory over Kerry in and of itself.

    It was also that Republicans (the party Bush also campaigned on behalf, including throwing his support to congressional and gubernatorial candidates) picked up 4 seats in the Senate and a bunch more in the House, as well as a few more governor's seats. In addition, something like 11 (or was it more?) states passed defense of traditional marriage acts, which support Bush's ideas.

    One party picking up 4 seats in the Senate in one election is clearly a mandate for that party's agenda - especially when that party stays in the White House and controls the House overwhelmingly.

    What other message are the voters sending? The main message is that they don't want liberal programs dominating the agenda. Enough said. Let's get to work. Time is ticking.

    Anonymous said...

    Hey Cisco. I am glad to see that "young people" are so actively involved in the conservative cause. I am pretty sure that such a cause would not go over well with my job though.

    I hope that all is well, and call when you are in DC. And, on a lighter note, I get to see Chris on the bus in the mornings. Such a small world!

    Kristen