Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Tuesday, February 27, 2007

    YCT State Convention

    On Friday night, February 23rd, the YCT State Convention began in Houston. First, we started with a visit to the house of a state representative (and a former YCT chairman). Appetizers and libations were had, and we heard a talk from a sitting U.S. Representative (name escapes me).

    On Saturday, the convention lasted all day, beginning about 9am. There were a range of speakers, but the main one I was able to hear was talk radio host Neil Boortz. All I can say is pick up one of his books: The Fair Tax (a best seller) or his new one, Somebody's Gotta Say It. The first one is about what this country desperately needs: all encompassing tax reform. It's a genius (yet simple) plan. The latter title goes after something this country needs less of: political correctness. The speech his gave was flat out HILARIOUS. I've never laughed so hard during a conservative intellectual speech. He is entertaining and I wasn't planning on buying the only title they had avaiable (the new one), but I felt that I had to reward the man for such entertainment and perhaps take some of that entertainment home with me through his writings.

    The Young Conservatives of Texas are always a funch bunch of conservative activists. They know how to piss off the Left and have a good time doing it. They also know how to have a good time generally, as is always evident at their gatherings.

    On Sunday, I went to mass at a church near downtown Houston and then I joined my friend James O'Keefe (also from LI) for lunch at the Hard Rock Cafe in Houston. As James took off in his car, I prepared to head to the airport. Once I got there, I found out my flight was cancelled (doh!) After 17 days on the road, I was really looking forward to my own bed. But, the snow in Philly prevented me from getting back.

    I was at the Southwest Airlines counter and the customer service agent was describing the conditions in Philly (reading from her monitor). It sounded yucky. It was in the 20s, snowing, and less than 2 miles visibility. Meanwhile, in Houston, it was about 75 degrees and sunny. I told her, "maybe I don't want to go back yet." So, I grabbed a room at the aiport hotel and got a good night's sleep and was able to catch the next flight on Monday morning. Once I was back in Philly, the airport shuttle brought me directly to ISI, where I worked the rest of the afternoon. About 18 days in a row working... and there was no telling when I would stop.

    I had just 2 days to prepare for CPAC - the largest annual gathering of conservatives that takes place each year in D.C. And I am the "go to guy" for ISI at CPAC. Another full week ahead.

    No comments: