Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Wednesday, August 06, 2008

    Olympic athletes plan displays of faith in China

    It's pretty well known that in communist countries such as China, religious practices are banned. The almighty State does not want competition. But, no matter how far the State goes to ban religious practices and enforce other totalitarian policies, the one thing the State can't take away is someone's faith - that inner call to holiness.

    Some Olympic athletes plan public displays of faith during the Beijing Olympics. U.S. track star Sanya Richards is one of them. According to the Washington Post, Sanya Richards envisions 91,000 fans at Beijing National Stadium and millions more on television watching her cross the finish line first in the 400 meters later this month. Immediately afterward, Richards said, she plans to kneel, say a quick prayer and then point skyward in spiritual appreciation.

    "It's important because I want people to know that I'm not the best because I'm Sanya Richards," the American 400 champion said at last month's U.S. Olympic trials in Eugene, Ore. "I'm the best because of God. I truly believe we can't will ourselves to win. I hope people see the same thing I see." Richards is among the athletes who openly display their faith on the playing field, and feel the two are inextricably linked.

    Read more.

    No comments: