Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Saturday, April 23, 2005

    Freedom Spreading in Florida

    I was in Florida earlier this month, from about April 1-12. It was a great trip all around. I met with a group of College Republicans from FAU, my alma mater. I was truly impressed. These students have not only built the College Republican membership at FAU up to over 400 members, but they also started a conservative student newspaper on campus, called "Right On Campus."

    When I was at FAU, from about 2000-2001, there were very few College Republicans to be found at all. And, when I entered UCF as a freshman in 1996, there were only a handful there, even as we tried to remove Bill Clinton from office. Now, the UCF College Republicans boast a membership of over 1,000 students! The College Republicans at both of these former schools of mine, and all across the state have done a magnificent job building membership, and ensuring that Republicans continue getting elected.

    The last time Florida had a Republican Senator was when Connie Mack retired in the late 90's. Now, Mel Martinez was elected in Bob Graham's vacated seat. Jeb Bush has been governor for two terms, and President Bush was elected, barely in 2000, and very handedly (5% margin) in 2004. The College Republicans of Florida certainly had a major hand in this, as college students are usually the most active about recruiting new members for their organizations, registering new voters, and mobilizing those voters.

    I was invited to speak at the College Republicans of Florida state convention on Saturday, April 9, to introduce over 100 students to ISI's programs and membership. The convention was held at the University of North Florida in Jacksonville. I had a great time, meeting very energetic students. For me, this was a splendid time because I was able to promote ISI to many students in my home state - from schools such as UM, FAU, UCF, FSU, USF, UF, Stetson, Palm Beach Atlantic, UNF, Jacksonville University, Florida Gulf Coast University, Rollins College, and probably others I can't recall off-hand.

    My biggest message to the College Republicans was asking them to reflect on the fact that Republicans (the more "conservative" party) control the executive and legislative branches of both the federal government and the state government of Florida. I suggested to them that usually once people are in power, they forget what brought them there. What I believe brought conservatives to hold so many offices was the ideas and principles that define the conservative movement: limited government, judeo-christian moral norms, personal responsibility, individual liberty, adherence to the rule of law, and respect for the market economy.

    For the College Republicans of Florida, I suggested that ISI could benefit them by introducing them to these ideas and educate them more deeply in the principles that sustain a free society - and the conservative movement. We did not get to power by just holding on to it at all costs, we came to power as a party and as a movement by adhering to these timeless principles. I hope and trust they walked away with a good message and that they each indulge themselves in an education in ordered liberty.

    From the initial response I received from many students during the day, I think they will heavily indulge in ISI's programs, from lectures to books. I felt like freedom was certainly spreading in Florida... as the future leaders of my home state continue to push forward to ensure that even while their own party is in power, that this party adheres to its own principles. Otherwise, we really wouldn't have won. With ISI Books in their hands, the College Republican leadership across the state of Florida are continuing to spread the Reagan Revolution, by combining their action with ideas and putting their ideas in action.

    No comments: