Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Monday, September 26, 2005

    On the Oregon Trail

    Yesterday, I took the day-long journey to get to Oregon. As long as it seemed (a 2-hour flight to Chicago from Philly, a 90-minute layover, and a 4-hour flight from Chicago to Portland), it is amazing how times have changed. A century and a half ago, our ancestors took many months to go from the East Coast (or even from Missouri, the middle of the country), all the way to the splendor of Oregon. Some died on the journey, many got sick, many didn't make it. But they all came west to start a new life and to make something of themselves.

    Well, I'm just out west for about 13 days. But, I will say, my first impression is great. Portland is a very nice city, I'm staying downtown. Everything seems very clean, a lot of restaurants and shopping. And, a nice mountain range is off in the distance, with the peak of Mt. Hood (it's pretty spectcular) overlooking the city. It's also a volcano, I just found out. But it hasn't erupted since around the time of Lewis and Clark and just after.

    Today, I began my ISI outreach trip with a visit with a philosophy professor at the University of Portland. This professor has been involved with ISI for many decades but he "hasn't seen an ISI face on campus in at least several years." When I heard that, I was even more happy that I made the trip. It really means something to our ISI members and particularly our Volunteers (he's an ISI Faculty Associate), when we pay them some attention.

    We had a nice 30-40 minute conversation about all things ISI, about the status of the University of Portland (a notable Catholic institution) and about his own life and times, from personal experiences with Adlai Stephenson to Presidents Reagan and the current President, George W. Bush. I was surprised to hear that "Dubbya" made a remarkable impression on him when he was somewhat recently invited to the White House for a panel with the President on the status of education. He said Bush was "very articulate" and "very knowledgeable" and "he didn't have any notes with him." He said his personality was also very down to earth and he hasn't met any leader that impressive since, well... Adlai Stephenson. (I didn't want to bring up the Gipper's name in all this, but I was thinking it).

    This philosophy professor also encouraged me to bring some more lecturers to the ISI Lecture Program, particularly more that were focused on philosophy (rather than politics and history, which tends to dominate our program). I told him of the noticeable attractiveness of the field of philosophy to many ISI students and encouraged him to recommend to us some notable lecturers in his field of study.

    After our meeting, I was checking out the beautiful campus, which overlooks Portland from the outer edges (with Mt. Hood in the back drop). As I came across the chapel, I noticed daily mass had just started (it was about 12:05). I attended mass (even though I was a tad late). It is also great to celebrate the Eucharist from campus to campus. It is surely one remnant that is everlasting. I prayed that the power of the Eucharist would fill the hearts of every student at the University of Portland. We can only hope.

    No comments: