Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Thursday, September 22, 2005

    Villanova College Republicans

    On September 21 (Wednesday night), I was invited to be a "guest speaker" at a meeting of the College Republicans at Villanova University, a Catholic institution in the suburbs of Philadelphia.

    I was told ahead of time about how many students I should expect, but I really didn't believe it. When the meeting began, there were about 80 students, a few even standing to the side, as almost all the seats were filled in this large classroom.

    I spoke to the students about all things ISI, encouraging them to take part in all of our programs and giving them a little history of ISI and a quick introduction into the philosophy of Russell Kirk. I also reminded them about all the people that paved the way for our generaton and showed them why they should educate themselves on the first principles of America's founding and our Western heritage.

    I also reminded them that first come ideas, and then the politics follows. Mostly, however, I told them that we, as conservatives are "remnants". We are carrying on the traditions of the past, against all odds that the modern age places in front us. Ideas, I said, are also remnants, as long as they are carried from age to age by people and recorded history. The Villanova Times, for example, was started in 2000/2001, but somewhere in the middle of that time since, they didn't publish for about a year - but the idea remained - the remnant remained. And, once good leadership and a more active student body came to the forefront again, the remnat was able to thrive.

    After the talk, I presented the student group with some free books to help them start a group library or give out as awards to their members. In return, they gave me a Villanova College Republicans t-shirt. On the back it says "I Think Therefore I'm Republican." Exactly.

    No comments: