Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Thursday, April 20, 2006

    Hiram College: Middle of Nowhere Ohio

    Wednesday morning, I drove out to Hiram College, which is somewhere in eastern Ohio about an hour south of Cleveland. Other than that - it's in the middle of nowwhere. I had to take some back roads to get there... and then when I arrived I could almost pass the school, although there were several prominent buildings. I met with Rudy Wojtecki, a former ISI honors fellow who is now wrapping up his junior year - he's super smart. Even though he enjoys reading about conservative ideas and indulges in a liberal arts education through ISI, he's really into the sciences. I'm not a science person, so I can't really tell you exactly what he's studying, but he'll be doing an internship at NASA this summer at a research center they have in the Cleveland area and that will be after his first 5 weeks in the summer - at an internship in Denmark!

    Hiram College only has about 800 students and they're not really involved in too many things at all once they leave their classes, although most of them do live on campus. So, it's been difficult for Rudy to get very many of them involved in his ISI Group, which right now is small, but perhaps there's hope. I had lunch with him today, and then I moved on and drove down to Steubenville, Ohio. About an hour and a half drive... to Franciscan University.

    No comments: