Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Sunday, April 23, 2006

    Oh Ohio

    On Thursday, I ventured from the very east part of Ohio to the rural interior. After passing some Amish farms (yes, the Amish are in Ohio too), I stopped at Kenyon College to have lunch with some ISI students there, including two students who edit the Collegiate Network paper, The Kenyon Observer. The paper has been around for 19 years, making it one of the oldest CN publications. John O'Hara, who is the editor-in-chief and graduating this semester, was recently hired to work for Al Regnery at The American Spectator magazine. This is one of the highly prized internships offered through the CN. John will also be joining CN staff and about 11 other CN student editors in Prague for 10 days this summer on the CN's foreign correspondent course.

    After stopping off in Kenyon, which has only about 800 students... I drove down to Columbus, Ohio where I met with some student editors of the OSU Sentinel at one of the largest schools (perhaps the largest) in the country, The Ohio State University. These guys are great - but I should note, they are VERY hard core libertarians. By the end of dinner, we got into some good conservative-libertarian debates and somehow we even got into a debate and discussion over the notion of "progress". Are we progressing as a civilization? As a world? And if so, what do we mean by "progress"? This and many questions were up for debate.

    After that was over, I went back to the hotel and crashed... on Friday, I drove from Columbus, Ohio to Indianapolis, IN where I met up with other staff from ISI who were busy preparing for ISI's National Leadership Conference. More on that coming soon!

    No comments: