Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Tuesday, April 04, 2006

    ISI soiree at University of Dallas

    Monday night, we had another "Get to Know ISI" soiree at the University of Dallas. UD is a small, Catholic liberal arts school in the suburbs of Dallas, in an area called Irving (the campus is literally about a mile from where the Dallas Cowboys play).

    On Sunday night, I attended mass there (lots of good looking single Catholic girls - makes me want to apply for their PhD program, or at least hang around a bit longer).

    Anyway... back to the soiree ... we had a great set-up, good room location on campus and about 30 plus students attended. I would say about half were already ISI members, but it was great to get to meet them and help motivate them to get more involved. A former ISI Honors fellow introduced herself to me, and 3 other students told me they applied to this year's summer honors program. A young faculty member introduced himself to me and told me he was a former ISI Weaver Fellow, and another student told me she transferred there from Patrick Henry College (where she was involved with the ISI Group there) and she wants to start an ISI chapter at UD. Fantastic!

    In addition, I had several ISI students helping me, including Stephen Wauck who put it all together at UD and Blake Vaughn, an ISI Campus Representative at Dallas Baptist University, who brought over several students from his school and advertised the soiree to College Republican students at UT-Arlington and UT-Dallas. And, we were lucky enough to have CRNC national chairman, Paul Gourley, in attendance. He was in town for some CR business and as a friend to ISI, he attended our soiree.

    It's amazing to me the long reach ISI has - so many people are already involved with us, and yet those who aren't seem to be very excited once they get acquainted with us. It was good to be at UD and after 4 days in Dallas (my second ever trip to this city, the last one being 7 years ago), I really like this city and could see myself possibly living here someday. It's a growing city with a vibrant economy, very nice people, and oh yes, beautiful women. Great food and great weather too. All those combinations top my list. And, it's Texas. Good people down here.

    No comments: