Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Thursday, April 06, 2006

    Sooners and Cowboys

    On Tuesday evening, I ventured about 30 minutes south of Oklahoma City to the campus of the University of Oklahoma, where some College Republicans had set up a "Get to Know ISI" soiree. It was in a very nice room in their student union. A lot like the other 2 soirees, about 30 people in attendance, about 15-20 new members signed up for ISI, and a lot of people excited.

    On Wednesday afternoon, I ventured up to Oklahoma State University, which is in Stillwater, OK. A whole lot of nothing between Oklahoma City and Stillwater. Once I got into Stillwater, there was actually a landmark that said "Stillwater: Oklahoma started here." And then it depicted a scene and a saying that said, "The Great Land Run", or something of the sort.

    I made it to Oklahoma State, where one of the nation's best ISI Campus Representatives attends, Dan Branum and his wife Summer. I first met Dan and Summer during my very first week at ISI, they were "my first visitors" along with 2 interns from the Eagle Forum organization in DC. It was great to get to Dan and Summer's campus during their final months of study there. They have been married almost a year now and are both planning on attending a law school of their choice this fall. I say "of their choice," because they've each been accepted to about a half dozen schools already!

    Dan has been an ISI Honors Fellow and during the past 2 years has signed up at least 150 members for ISI. I swear. And, he put together an ISI information session, where only 2 students showed up to, but also had me speak at the College Republicans meeting, where about 30 students attended. It was fun and I got to meet some interesting new people that seem really excited about conservative ideas.

    What I found interesting at the CR meeting, was that 2 of the 3 people running for the Lt. Governor position of Oklahoma in the Republican primary were also both at the meeting and gave about a 10-minute talk each on why the CR's at Oklahoma State should vote for them, support them, and campaign for them. Both emphasized the need to attract businesses to Oklahoma in order to develop a better economy and keep the college graduates in the state of Oklahoma.

    I left Stillwater and headed back to Oklahoma City, tired and worn out after my 8 days in the southwest. And, I still had to get up at 5am to catch my 7:30am flight. It was tiring. And, I still am not going home... I am spending the following 2 days in D.C. for the Students For Academic Freedom Conference. I'm getting tired... I'm also beginning to lose my voice. I guess it's all the talking about ISI!

    1 comment:

    Anonymous said...

    Hey Francisco -
    I just found your blog. Thanks for the kind words. We really enjoyed your visit to OSU!
    Dan.